Call us: (08) 9439 4405

A Rental Bond

A rental bond is a deposit paid to your landlord. Your bond could be 4 weeks or less. The maximum Security Bond that can be charged in WA is generally the equivalent of 4 weeks' rent. If the weekly rent is more that $1,200, there is no maximum Security Bond.

 Your bond acts as a form of security for your landlord, so if you damage the property or owe rent when you move out, your landlord may be able to keep some of the money.  The bond is usually lodged with the Department of Commerce Bond Administrator. 

When the tenant keeps a pet on the premises that can carry parasites potentially affecting people, the landlord may charge up to an additional $260 to the Security Bonds to cover fumigation costs.

At the end of the residential tenancy agreement, the Security Bond should be refunded to either the tenant or the landlord, depending on whether the tenant has breached the terms of the agreement.  The landlord or tenant should make an application for refund of the Security Bond within 6 months of the end of the tenancy agreement.

Landlords will commonly claim from the Rental Bond for:

  • Breaches—losses from breaches of the agreement,
  • Rent in Arrears—rent or other charges in arrears,
  • Damage—Damage to the premises or goods caused by the tenants or their guests,
  • Cleaning—cleaning and repairs for the premises (having regard for fair wear and tear).

Bond Check List

  • Get a receipt when you pay the bond.
  • The bond must be lodged with the bond administrator.
  • From 1 July 2013 property condition reports (PCRs) are compulsory when entering and ending a tenancy agreement. When you leave the property, the lessor must give you a copy of the PCR within 14 days of you leaving the premises.
  • Take photos of the property at the beginning and end of your tenancy.
  • Read all documents carefully, and never sign a blank or incomplete form.
  • Keep copies of all rent receipts or a record of your rent payments.
  • Leave the premises clean, and in a similar condition to when you moved in.
  • Keep copies of receipts for carpet cleaning.
  • Return the keys when you move out.
  • Notify the lessor of your forwarding address.


The Department of Housing can provide bond assistance loans for private rental properties if you need assistance paying the bond money.