Although you have several weeks before moving day after a house is sold, there is so much to do when you’re moving house. Here’s a list of some of the most important tasks.
- Lodge a change of address form with the Post Office and arrange to have your mail forwarded to your new address
- Notify the relevant utilities - Gas, power, phone, water, etc. Again allow a few days for them to arrange final readings etc
- Make arrangements for moving your pot plants and pets
- Notify banks, Insurance Agencies and any other organization which regularly send you mail - Internet providers, RAC, Superannuation providers etc of your new address
- Pack a bag which contains essential items for the next day - Toiletries, work clothes, kids uniforms, pet food etc
- Defrost the fridge the night before the move
- Check your insurance policy to make sure moving is covered and your new home is insured!
- Discontinue regular services such as newspaper delivery or lawn mowing
- Update the address on your car registration and your driver’s license
- Make sure your car is covered–notify your cars insurer of the new address as soon as possible
Lodge a change of address form a few days before settlement. It can take the Post Office several working days to put the changes into effect.